3.2.6 Can you recommend an IDE?
Users of Borland Pascal may wonder if there's a replacement for the
IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Here's a few suggestions:
- (X)Emacs. Some people think it's the answer to the question of
Life, the Universe and Everything, others decide it's uGNUsable.
Available from your friendly GNU mirror and most distributions.
- PENG. It's not free software, but it was written with GPC.
It's very similar to Borland's IDE, but with many extensions.
Binaries for DJGPP, Linux and Solaris can be downloaded from
- RHIDE. DJGPP users might want to try RHIDE. The latest (beta)
release is compatible with GNU Pascal and allows stepping, tracing
and watching like Borland's IDE. It can be downloaded from
- DevPascal. DevPascal is a Free Software IDE for mingw32. It
can be downloaded from
- XWPE is another imitation of the Borland IDE, so users of
Borland Pascal may find it a good alternative.